Helpful hints for dealing with Compassion Fatigue
02/09/2020 - By Pastor Todd Nathan
- Guard your heart from becoming cynical or calloused because of all the tragedies and sad things you have seen, experienced, or have been involved with. (Proverbs 4:23)
- Guard against becoming "Immune" to people's pain and suffering - it's healthy to feel and show empathy (1 Corinthians 12:25-26, Galatians 6:9-10)
- Do what is within your power and ability to do. It's ok to let other people help. (Proverbs 3:27) It's also ok to say "No" so that you don't add to your weariness.
- Establish healthy boundaries. If you are not sure how to do this, consider reading Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.
- Take some time to rest and be refreshed. Especially when you feel emotionally drained and have been walking through crisis and trauma.